Getting ready to self publish can be a daunting prospect. Follow this simple checklist to break down the process into manageable tasks.
- Write your manuscript and format it in a digital document, i.e. Word. If you have written it by hand, there are programs available that will transfer your word to a digital format.
- Have your manuscript professionally proofread. Friends and family are a good place to begin, however the importance of an impartial proofreader cannot be underestimated.
- Decide on the size of your book and set up the files using the correct template. If you are familiar with inDesign you will be able to do this yourself, otherwise hire someone to do it for you.
- Decide on the cover design. Work with a graphic designer to do this – it will make all the difference to the finished product.
- Get an ISBN and bar code. ISBNs can be obtained from the UK IBN Agency and there are many online barcode generators that you can use.
- Copyright your work. Make sure that you do not forget to do this!
- Promote your book over multiple platforms. Use Social Media, send your work out to be independently reviewed, consider working with an agent. Don’t rely solely on word of mouth. You have a great product, but that means nothing if nobody knows about it.
- Take a deep breath…. and publish!